If you are just getting started with a badge program at your organization OR updating your program, here are a few thoughts to keep in mind as you design our ID badge to ensure it provides the right security, information and image for your organization.
Today’s card design software comes in many editions with varying levels of complexity but all IDs share some basic elements.
- Orientation: VERTICAL is very common, especially if hanging on a lanyard but HORIZONTAL is great especially with long names/titles of those badged. You may also consider using VERTICAL for staff and HORIZONTAL for contractors or visitors. This provides a visual security cue for your organization.
- Do you need to allow for a punch at the top to hang from a badge reel or lanyard? Will the card be placed inside a badge holder, thus not requiring a slot or hole punch? This will be important for your layout.
- Do you need information on both the front and the back? Should both the front and back be the same (to account for IDs flipping around) or do you prefer to have static data on the back such as phone numbers and security information?
Once you have those basic questions answered, you can get to the design elements:
- Do you want your logo with standard corporate/organization colors and fonts?
- For specific badges, will you include a photo? If so, make sure you have photos of similar size and with similar lighting to make your cards look consistent.
- Will you include employee name (first and/ last) or just initials? Are titles and departments needed? What about expiration dates or dates of hire? Also consider noting if employees are allowed be about your building unescorted? Color bars can help provide that information to others.
Whatever your ID, ASAP Identification Security can help. We not only sell card design software, but we can help you design or adjust your design, as well.
Just call (317-488-1030) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will be more than happy to help.
Do you need a Card Service Bureau or Card Printer?
Every project is different, and while we know that the HID Identity on Demand card services can address a number of obstacles in a badging project, not every project is a perfect fit for these services. It is important for organizations to analyze the costs associated with re-badging efforts when determining which method is the best for meeting their objectives.
The following considerations should also be evaluated:
- What are the internal costs of the project?
- Will additional resources be needed to meet deadlines?
- Rebadging may be just one aspect of the overall project. Will the overall project be in jeopardy if these resources are applied to managing this specific task?
- What about fallout? Typically you should account for approx 10%, so if you need to produce 20,000 personalized iCLASS cards you will need to purchase 22,000 units.
- When planning timelines you will need to account for maintenance and repairs. If you don’t have the budget to purchase additional equipment, your schedule should be based on a percentage of the equipment you have on hand, i.e. if you have 8 printers you should base your schedule on 6.
- Because resources are limited (both hardware and labor), it is important to calculate the opportunity costs associated with dedicating resources to complete this task.
- If you are going to ramp up equipment to handle a rebadging efforts, you need to consider future applications to limit replacing hardware and system unnecessarily.
- Lastly, you should consider the cost of secure warehousing and the uniformity of the finished credential – This gets harder and more expensive with each additional facility.
Regardless if it’s the number of cards, the number of different layouts, or the investment in labor and other equipment, several factors should be considered when evaluating card services over desktop printers. If you decide to invest in a desktop printer, HID Global offers a full range of printers that may address your needs for smaller projects.
Please call ASAP Identification Security for help in evaluating your needs @ 317-488-1030 or email us at email@example.com.
On the Butler University campus, your student ID is your all-access pass into the library, athletic center, and usually your next meal. When incoming students register, they receive the laminated photo cards and carry them with them at all times. Loaded with “Dawg Bucks,” their student ID cards act like debit cards for purchases at campus dining spots, some select off-campus restaurants and the campus bookstore.
During high-volume new student registration – when hundreds of students need cards in a short time frame – fast ID card creation is critical. When cumbersome printing slowed the process, Butler began looking for a better way.
As a client of ASAP Identification, we were able to assist Butler in deploying Zebra’s ZXP Series™ 7 card printers to meet the demand of ID cards during high-volume new student registration.
“When someone comes into our office for a replacement card, the printer is ready to go and we have their cards right away. They comment, ‘That was fast!”
– Theresa Hilliard (Butler University)
Magicard’s patented HoloKote security prints a watermark graphic into the overlay panel during the normal card printing cycle, providing anti-counterfeit protection for your cards. The image prints in a grid pattern across the entire card surface as a frosted image that is invisible when viewed normally. When flexed or held at an angle in direct light, the HoloKote image becomes clearly visible.
When combined with HoloPatch cards this watermark can be visible in all light conditions.
With the Rio Pro you can print a HoloKote Flex image across the entire card surface. This can be customized to your own logo or security design by using the Custom HoloKote feature.
See samples at UltraMagicard.com
Smart cards offer many advantages over proximity cards
Proximity readers and cards have been on the market for over 25 years. As the first contactless card that can be “read” without inserting or creating contact with a reader, proximity cards advanced credentials forward significantly.
However, proximity cards are not without their limitations. Namely, storage and security. The storage on proximity cards is limited to the card number alone—making it functional for only one purpose. Additionally, proximity technology is highly susceptible to counterfeits and duplication.
Smart card technology solves both issues.
- Storage: There are multiple sectors on a smart card, allowing for storage of several different types of applications, including access control, POS, computer access, data storage and cashless vending. Smart cards can be used for multiple purposes and are 100 times faster than proximity credentials.
- Security: With advanced data encryption, duplication is nearly impossible. As an added level of security, smart technology requires mutual authentication—between the card and reader.
Making the transition
It’s fairly simple to transition to smart cards on existing systems. Allegion’s aptiQ™ Multi-Technology Readers allow companies to move at their own pace because they read both 125 kHz proximity and 13.56 MHz contactless smart cards in a single unit. Even more, Allegion’s aptiQ readers are very easy to install or replace with a quick-connect design that uses standard wiring.
Read more industry insights regarding sorting through credential technology choices by Allegion.
Asure ID 7 Solo program fix for photo box crashes:
3 Easy Steps for DTC4500e Ribbon Sensor Calibration:
1. Press the right button and scroll with the left button to TOOLBOX.
2. Press the right button to select TOOLBOX and scroll with the left button to CALIBRATE RIBBON SENSOR
3. Press the right button to select CALIBRATE RIBBON SENSOR
It’s time to get ready for Back To School, especially if you need an upgrade your ID card system for school ID badges.
The right ID card system can help your school run more smoothly to identify staff and students and to help make sure everyone is where they belong.
We have several solutions available to meet your needs, whether for hundreds or thousands of IDs.
Please let us know if you need any ID supplies to kick off the 2014-15 school year!
Thanks for your ongoing support of ASAP Identification (317-488-1030 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
CardPresso ID software is a versatile and easy-to-use and easy to upgrade solution.
Easy to use: The cardPresso software can be installed on multiple PCs and you simply move the USB pen (1 pen per license) between those PCs to run the application. This allows multiple users to have access to the software, thus allowing workload to shift from one PC user to another. The PCs without the pen can run the software in DEMO mode but will need the pen to run fully.
Easy to upgrade: Entry level XXS is affordable (@ $75) and full of great features for a basic software. As the needs of your organization change, so do the offerings. There are 5 editions of cardPresso available and upgrades are managed easily and seamlessly through your software license key.
The cardPresso suite of software solutions ranges from simple to robust and can certainly meet the requirements of your organization.
Call (317-488-1030) or email ASAP Identification (email@example.com) to learn more about the cardPresso solution.