A lot of times when we receive a customer call asking about purchasing a new ID card printer, the first question we hear is:
How much will it cost?
We totally understand. Everyone is trying to make a dollar go farther these days, and so cost is definitely a factor to consider.
And, sometimes, the least expensive ID card printer will be perfectly fine to meet your needs. However, if cost is the only question you ask, you might not pick the printer that best meets your needs. When that happens, you might have to buy more parts, or worse yet, buy a whole new printer to meet your needs. Suddenly, that “cheap” printer can become a pretty expensive purchase.
So, when the time comes to purchase that new ID card printer, definitely ask about cost, but also consider these questions:
- Do you need to only print on one side of the card, or on both sides?
- What kind of card are you trying to make – is it an employee card? A gift card? A membership card?
- What do you want the card to look like – do you want to just print black? Do you want a lot of colors? Will something be imbedded in the cards?
- Do you want your ID cards to work with your time clock or door access system?
- Do you really need to be able to make a card at a moment’s notice?
- Will the printer be dedicated to a single work station, or will multiple computers be connected to the ID card printer?
- How big a problem is it if your ID card printer is down for a week, two weeks or for even more time?
If you would like some help answering these questions, or want to learn more about a particular ID card printer, give us a call. You can reach us at (317) 488-1030.